The Rangers Game Log

Thursday, April 13, 2006

She Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (We Hope)

- I got home from the game on Tuesday, and went right to the laptop to read what was up with Malik's injury, to check on the finals from out-of-town, and to scan the official super-stat sheet on the game. "I can't believe Malik is hurt now and the Flyers won, shit, but I figured out that all they have to do is win the next two games and I can't believe my brother told my mother to have the Seder on the second night when he knew we had a game even if it's a road game and when the hell is Lundqvist going to be back and I can't believe Prucha missed that shot and oh my god the Devils won again, we're definitely going to play them, and what am I going to do Thursday night, are we going to start to watch the game there or should I watch the game on the DVR when we get home and I have to call Direct TV to schedule them so we can have OLN in time for the playoffs but if they come on Saturday, what if they're not done before the game starts...."

"STOP!" the Head Chef said. "You're obsessed!"

We've only been together for five years. So she has no idea what is (hopefully) about to enfold. I say hopefully because she won't see much if we go out in four in the first round. That would probably just seem like a condensed version of the other seasons she's seen. I'm trying to prepare her, but I don't think she quite understands. Her ultimate hockey thrill thus far was the Malik shootout goal (though she was actually more excited about Studebaker's (that's what she was calling Strudwick that night; she had just seen him on TV and thought he was cute). She's never seen a third period of Game 6 with the Rangers down 3 games to 2, and the game tied...and she's never seen me during one of those. Remember that stuff? If she thinks I'm obsessing now....oh man. She's only seen me obssess over the Kentucky Derby this time of year, and that at least would keep me really quiet, except for a minute or two during the race. I hope I don't scare her away.

- Brooks in the Post is reporting that we could very well see Marc Staal play in some really important games. Brooks asked Coach Renney if he'd be comfortable playing him. "Yes," the coach said, with a wide smile. "I would."

2 Comments:

  • At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It probably won't provide the Head Chef a whole lotta comfort to know this, but you're certainly not the only one who is a bit obsessed right about now. I'm up in Boston for last night's seder, we "miraculously" crank through things real quick, so by the end of the 1st period (according to my kid's Sidekick) we're already finishing desert. So I'm just dying to bust out of there, and start making plans with my brother-in-law's girlfriend to go to the Sports Depot to catch the rest of the game. I almost pulled it off, too, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. So I'm stuck there, with my kid now checking the ESPN ticker -- which I ordinarily would refuse to do since I'm convinced only bad things happen to your team when you follow it on that ticker. But when the Rangers cut it to 4-3, I'm stuck...'til what turned out to be the "bitter" end. Someone then suggests it's good I didn't rush off to the bar; I'm thinking that maybe if I had been there watching instead of checking the ticker, things would have been different. Yeah, you're not the only one obsessed, my friend.

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Alan Mann said…

    "I'm thinking that maybe if I had been there watching instead of checking the ticker, things would have been different."

    Ha, no doubt!! I got home in time to see Sykora make it 4-2. If I had only been home sooner!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home